Saturday, March 20, 2010

In the Wilderness with Christ- Day 27

When Jesus was in the synagogue in Nazareth, he read Isaiah 61 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight the blind, to let the oppressed go free, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor". (Luke 4:18,19)

Sometimes we are tempted to think that Jesus was only speaking those words of healing and hope to people long ago and a place far away. But yesterday, I had the opportunity to see these words of hope come alive in our church, among our people. I had a chance to see one our our folks eat for the first time in three months- it was a miracle. I heard from another of our sisters in faith, that she had started to walk again- another miracle. And a Presbyterian colleague reported that he had just returned from a medical mission to Haiti where they treated 1100 patients in 8 different villages- many miracles. Jesus Christ is still healing and we are still proclaiming that good news today.

No comments: