Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 34- With Christ in, over, and around us in the wilderness

I thank God today for the devotions of Michael Lindvall "Knowing God's Triune Story". I met Michael at the Association of Presbyterian Christian Educators (APCE) this year and was introduced to his devotional guide as the 2010 Moderator's Lenten Bible Study. And it is every bit as good as the Moderator, Bruce Reyes-Chow had suggested. While I have been writing devotions each morning for my congregations, I have been fed by the devotional insights of Michael Lindvall.

This morning as I was feeling particularly overwhelmed by the demands of life and ministry and relationships, Michael reminded me of the Prayer of St. Patrick of Ireland (translated from Gaelic by Kuno Meyer): "I rise today through God's strength to pilot me...Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me. Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise. Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me, Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me, Christ in every eye that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me. I arise today through the mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity, through belief in threeness, through the confession of the oneness of the Creator of Creation" (St. Patrick as quoted in The Presbyterian Outlook, May 13, 1996)

If you are feeling overwhelmed this morning by life, I invite you to pray the Prayer of St. Patrick today as your own prayer for Christ to be with, in, over and under you as you journey through the wilderness with Christ.

No comments: