Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 21 in the Wilderness- Imago Dei

One of the greatest gift we have in relating to each other is to see the image of God, Imago Dei, in each other. I remember when I was hiking with the senior highs in Colorado, I was expecting to see the glory of God in the wonder and majesty of creation and instead I saw the glory and majesty of God in the grimey faces of my fellow travellers. Ray Anderson reminds us in his book On Being Human, that "each human person exists in the image and likeness of God." Of course you don't have to believe Ray or me, you just have to believe Scripture: "Then God said, 'Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness...so God created humankind in his image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." (Genesis 1:26,27)

Today I received some wonderful pictures on the internet and was reminded of that wonderful "Imago Dei" in each picture: my youngest grandson Evan; my friends and collegues in ministry- Eric, Laura and Daisy; my hiking buddies from my one Sonlight Backpacking trip.

Dear God who guides us as a loving Daddy/Mommy, walks with us as Brother and breathes your own very life into us as Loving Spirit, I thank you that I need only look to my brother or sister in Christ from any nation to see your image. In Christ I pray, in God I trust, in the Holy Spirit I live. Amen

No comments: