Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day Fourteen in the Wilderness- Music

Whenever I encounter the question, "If you were on a desert island, what would you take?", I have evolved to including two items in my list every time: the Bible and a guitar. I guess I would answer the same if I were asked what I would take "into the wilderness". The Bible is an easy answer since it is "The Book" that tells the story of God's love so convincingly and dynamically that one can read it over and over again and continue to discover something new and exciting and life changing every time. I love to read and the Bible is a virtual library of poetry, prose, narrative, soap opera, adventure, romance, theology and mystery. The Bible is God's love letter to us and if I were on a desert island or in the wilderness, I would want to be reminded over and over again in many different ways of that love.

The second item I would take is just as vital to my physical and emotional and spiritual wellbeing- my guitar. Now I am not a great guitar player or a great songwriter and yet the guitar gives me an opportunity to express myself through music and I have discovered that for me, that is a life giving, life saving necessity. During times in my life when I was going through a time of struggle and change, I have found myself writing songs. In those times in my life where things are going well and I look for a creative outlet to share that positive feeling- I write songs. When I worship in small groups or alone, I find that singing is a vital part of that worship experience for me. I understand that music is not as crucial of a part of everyone's worship or creative experience but I do think that everyone has a creative outlet that allows them to express themselves when words don't seem to be enough- knitting, cooking, music, physical exercise, woodcarving, carpentry, art, scrapbooking, dancing, poetry. Just as Scripture is God's word of love to us, these creative outlets are often our word of thanks and gratitude and creativity and joy back to God. It is exciting to pass this love of music on to my sons and sons and daughters in faith.

It has been a joy to see and listen to the CD that Ryan and Josh and Adam have made together and to rejoice in their chance to make music together. I am happy that Adam has been able to dedicate a room in his house in Pratt to be a music studio. In a sense it is a sanctuary, because beatiful, creative music is made in that place and spiritual gifts of singing, playing and songwriting are encouraged. It is an expression of Psalm 150:

"Praise the Lord! Praise God in the sanctuary; praise him in his mighty firmament! Prasie him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his surpassing greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; Praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with clanging cymbals; praise him with loud crashing cymbals! Let everything that breathes praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!"

No comments: