Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Story of Faith in Astoria


I got into New York, Laguardia Airport to see the welcoming face of Joshua greet me. When all is said and done, I am a midwestern boy and very intimidated by the big city. New York is like a foreign country to me so I was glad to have my guide, Joshua to show me the way and to have my nieces apartment in Astoria, Queens to stay at while we were getting Josh moved into his apartment in Brooklyn. They were both gracious hosts.As they both headed off to work, Sarah wondered what Uncle Rob would do. Josh assured her that I would find something. She told me where the Starbucks was, so after they left I headed out on my own to explore Astoria. Along the way I saw the Astoria Presbyterian Church which was obviously abandon. I am always saddened when I see an abandon church in the heart of the city because it seems like such a rich mission field. I took a picture and was heartened to see that they had moved to a new location on Broadway about ten blocks away. I was intrigued so I abandoned the Starbucks quest and set off in search of the hopefully reborn Presbyterian Church at a new location. I found the church at 2335 Broadway in what used to be an old doctors office. The door was unlocked. The sanctuary was right off the lobby. I noticed the PCUSA blue hymnal so I was hopeful that it was a Presbyterian Church (USA) congregation. As I approached the last office on the left, I heard the voice of the pastor, Dr. Don Olinger who waved me in.
After I introduced myself as a fellow Presbyerian pastor, he started to share the story of Astoria Presbyterian's journey from being an old established Presbyerian Church with too much building to heat and care for to seeing itself as a mission outpost in a growing and changing part of Queens, Astoria. There is an article on the PCUSA website, http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2009/09363.htm that tells the story better than I can. Don is legally blind and yet he and his congregation have an incredible vision for ministry in Astoria. The location they are currently at is temporary. The land that the old church is on is going to be developed into affordable housing for senior citizens and the church will inhabit a part of that building as worship space and offices. In forty years the land will revert back to the church's ownership. The ministry is being transformed as the congregation is attentive to the need for ministry in the area and the gifts they have to offer. They are truly living our Buechners definition of calling: "When the worlds great need and your great desire meet." Their worship is blended and their congregation includes folks from at least six different national origins. Their current worship space is adaptable and yet the order of worship was definitely Presbyterian and Reformed. The art on each side of the front of the sanctuary depicts the season of the church year (on the left) and the season of Christ's life (on the right). They share their current worship space with a Thai congregation. They are doing some inovative things with their Sunday School using computers and music.
So you never know where God might take you when you go for a walk in Astoria. You might meet a brother in faith that you didn't yet know. You might be moved from sadness to inspiration as you hear what the Holy Spirit is doing in this little church in Astoria. You might have an opportunity to pray for a sister congregation that is stepping out in faith. You might discover a story of faith in Astoria.

No comments: