Monday, August 31, 2009

New York- Community to the Max

The last several days of sabbatical were spent in Manhattan, Philadelphia and Brooklyn helping Josh move. It was a great time to be with Josh, see New York City and to learn about community to the max. We started with a visit to my niece, Sarah. We experienced the wonderful ethnically diverse community of Astoria, Queens. Here were are eating in a Greek restaurant. Luckily I love Greek food. On Friday, while Josh was working, I spent the day in Manhattan. I saw the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, Times Square, the United Nations Building and Broadway. But the most amazing thing I saw was the throng of people. Even on a day when it was raining, there were people everywhere, from every nation, speaking every langauge, gawking at the tall building and Times Square just like I was. Times Square was like being inside a video game. Every building had a sign with moveable images. After lunch I just sat in the middle of Times Square and soaked in the atmosphere. As busy as the city was, Josh and I discovered that being a calm presence in the midst of the chaos was our best strategy for finding and sharing a sense of peace. When we were renting a u-haul, negociating an apartment lease, trying to wind our way through the Lincoln Tunnel, we found that responding with patience and calm was the best strategy. It's a good strategy in the busyness of Manhattan, New York and it is a good strategy for Wichita. Kansas, As I was driving back to Wichita at the end of the sabbatical, I was listening to Ekhart Tolle's book "A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose". In it he talks about being a non-anxious presence in response to life situations. He talked about living in the present as opposed to always worrying about the future as a way to become spiritually alert and alive. It was a good reminder as I headed back to work after my sabbatical not to get caught up worrying about all the things I have to do, but instead to focus on the present, enjoy getting back in touch with people and to listen to the still small voice of God. As I pulled into my driveway, I was listening to Michael Card's song "Know You in the Now". I was a good way to end a wonderful sabbatical,

No comments: