Sunday, August 16, 2009

Spending Time in the Garden

I had just finished reading N. Graham Standish book "Becoming a Blessed Church" and the chapter on gardens. Standish suggests that just as there are many different gardens: an old English garden; a cottage garden; a vegetable garden; an herb garden; a wilderness garden; there are also many different and distinct churches. And each church needs to discover what type of garden they are intended to be and be true to that purpose. When I arrived at Little Portion Monastery on Monday afternoon, I didn't at first realize that it would be a hands-on workshop on gardens. The Little Portions Monastery was founded over 25 years ago by Christian singer songwriter, John Michael Talbot. I had decided to go to Little Portions Monastery in part because I was a long time fan of John Michael Talbot's music. But when I got to the monastery, I discovered that it was more that a place that packaged John Michael's music. It was a working farm, a spiritual community, a beautiful setting and a place of refreshment and renewal.
Each day started at 6:00 am in my cabin and then to chapel at 6:45 am for morning prayer. The liturgy was beautiful and the singing was heavenly. After a brief meal in the common room, we met in the prayer garden to plan the days work. I was assigned to work with Sister Mary Catherine in the vegetable garden. She was a fine mentor to someone who is not much of a farmer or gardener. She showed me chickens, goats and the general layout. We picked tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, and collected eggs from the chicken coop. It was a great connection with nature and when we gathered for a common lunch which usually included home grown chicken, and tomatoes and beans from the garden.
While I was at the retreat I read "John Calvin on Prayer: Coversation with God" and Michael Talbot's book, "The Lessons of St. Francis: How to Bring Simplicity and Spirituality into your Daily Life". It was interesting to be in conversation with two giants of the faith. While the vegetable garden was a good place to work, the prayer garden was a great place to read, reflect and pray. There were humming birds, squirrels, and it reminded my that the monastery was founded in the spirit of St. Francis. The people and animals seemed to get along in this unique setting.
I enjoyed getting to know that community of sisters, brothers and families that were part of the Little Portion Monastery. With each day, I felt more and more welcomed. I was sad that Catholic polity doesn't allow Catholics and Presbyterians to take communion together but in every other way I felt fully welcomed into the community. On Wednesday, I did get a chance to meet John Michael Talbot when he was leading a community Bible study on Gifts of the Spirit in Corinthians. I will remember the friendships I established, the experiences I shared and the beauty of the Little Portion Monastery.

No comments: