Monday, April 5, 2010

Day 38-Three Women at the Tomb

"But on the first day of the week,at early dawn, they (the three women) came to the tomb, taking spices that they had prepared. They found the stone rolled aweay from the tomb, but when they looked inside they did not find the body." (Luke 24:1-2)

If I asked you to think of three women who made a difference
in your life and faith- who would you say?
For me those three women would have to be my mother Carolyn
Who grounded me in the faith that I have today;
My wife Joan who is my partner in ministry and life and inspires me
To be the best pastor, husband, father, brother, I can be;
And last might well be my mother-in-law Almira whose wisdom
Inspires me to strive to be patient, kind, wise and faithful
As I live the second half of my life on earth.
Yes, I believe that these are three women
who made a difference in my life and faith.
And I bet you can think of three influential women in your life as well.

But I would suggest that even though we would each name different
Women in our individual lives, that the three women
Who went to that tomb on that first Easter morning
Were influential in all of our lives:
Mary Magdalene, Joanna and Mary mother of James.

As I reflect on these three women, I am thankful for their faith, hope and love.
Their faith allowed them to go to the tomb even though they didn't know how they would roll away the stone to get to the body- but they went believing that God would open up the possibility. Their love allowed them to go to annoint the body of Jesus even after he had been brutally killed. And their hope allowed them to proclaim the Gospel of Christ's resurrection even when the people didn't at first believe. Only one disciple, Peter was curious enough to check it out for himself. And with that journey, the Christian church and witness in the world began.

Who will you witness to this Easter? If only one person is curious to follow up on your testimony, them God might just change the world through you as well.

No comments: