Thursday, April 1, 2010

Day 36 in the Wilderness with Jesus Christ

Today is Maundy Thursday. It is always confusing for people who ask: "Is it Monday or Thursday?" The name comes from the Latin for command or mandate that Jesus gives in John 13:34 "I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you should also love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

I preached on this passage on my first Sunday at Covenant and I have spent the last nine years seeing it lived out in the life and faith of the congregation. It was lived out last night as Josh, Lilly, Callie, Christina, Lauren and the children of Covenant served us dinner at Wednesday night fellowship. They were loved and encouraged by the congregation that appreciated them. It was acted out in the Palm Sunday service when several of our deacons left worship for a moment to give food from our food cupboard to a family who was hungry. It was lived out as phone call after phone call came into the office to check how Laura V. was doing after we prayed for her in worship. (She and the baby and Guy are doing fine.) It was lived out as April (or was it Amber) came up to me and motioned for me to pick her up and hold her during Wednesday night supper. It was lived out as the prayer group gathered to lift up their brothers and sisters in prayer on Wedneday evening.

I thank God that in the midst of a busy, impersonal world; that we have the opportunity to live out this command of Jesus and to enjoy the ocmmunity in Christ that results. Thanks be to God!

No comments: