Monday, February 22, 2010

Day Five in the Wilderness- Finding Forte/Strength

"You who live in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, will say to the Lord, 'My refuge and my fortress: my God in whom I trust.'" Psalm 91:1,2

When I read this passage after our trip to Germany, I was reminded of the many fortress castles that people put their trust in and were disappointed. We saw a magnificent castle in Heidelberg built on the side of a hill in the 17th century And yet it had been destroyed first by the 30 years war and then by lighting in the 18th century. It was a poignant reminder that no matter how strong we build our fortresses that they can't really protect us from the worst that humanity and nature can throw at us. Within the Heidelberg Castle is the largest winevat in the world. Another place that people go for comfort is "liquid strength" and that never seems to work either. But as we looked down on the city of Heidelberg from the castle and saw the Cathedral, we became aware of where our real strength comes from. It doesn't come from the church per say but from the one to whom the church points- our God revealed in Jesus Christ. That's why Martin Luther wrote "A Mighty Fortress is Our God." Our strength and comfort come from the Triune God.

Now this wasn't news to us since we had gone to Heidelberg because of the Heidelberg Catechism. The Heidelberg Catechism was written in 1562 by Professor of Theology, Zacharias Ursinus and preacher, Kaspar Olevianus to try to bring the gap between the Lutherans (followers of Luther) and the Reformers (followers of Calvin). The Catechism was written to bring these sides together around the sovereignty and grace of God revealed in Jesus Christ. But as we stood in the ruins of the castle, looking down at the city with the church in the very midst we were reminded visually of the God who chooses to dwell with us and in whose shadow we are blessed to live and abide. The first line of the catechsim is the best known and a powerful reminder that God is our strength and shield and comfort in life and death.

Heidelberg Chatechism
Q. What is your only comfort in life and death?
A. That I belong- body and soul, in life and in death- not to myself but to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ, who at the cost of his own blood has fully paid for all my sins and has completely freed me from the dominion of the devil; that he protects me so well that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, that everything must fit according to his purpose for my salvation. Therefore, by his Holy Spirit, he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him.

No comments: