Friday, July 17, 2009

Remembering My Mom on her Birthday

The words of the Apostle Paul to Timothy in Second Timothy include: "I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I'm sure lives in you."(II Timothy 1:5) These words could have been said to me as well at my ordination 25 years ago since the faith I live and preach was first taught to me by my mother, Carolyn Joyce (Olson) Erickson. Today is my mom's birthday. She died six years ago after a lengthy battle with a series of mini-strokes but as I remember back on my life growing up together, her impact on my life and faith is unmistakeable.

She was born on July 17, 1930 in South Dakota. As a child she moved with her family to Hartington, Nebraska and grew up in that small Nebraska Community. Her family was active in the Lutheran Church in town. My mom was athletic and articulate. There weren't a lot of sport options available to girls back then but she was a pretty good tennis player and golfer and would often play with my dad and his friends. She has passed a love of those sports on to me and my brothers, Mark and John.

Her competitive juices were expressed in her debating. She was on the debate teams in Hartington High School and Wayne State Teachers College. She never lost the love of debating and we all knew first hand what a fierce debater she was. That endeared her to some and alienated her from others. She was also curious and an avid reader. She passed that curiosity on to her children and I hope we have passed it on to her grandchildren. She didn't take things for granted- religion, politics or education- so she was constantly asking questions. It was her way of learning.

She advocated for those in need and was fairly liberal in her political and religious outlook, which was a nice balance to my dad who was fairly conservative in religion and politics. Our dinner table was a place to learn and ask questions and sometimes duck, when the rhetoric became more heated. But it was a good place to grow in understanding and appreciating the world. And it was a good place to learn that people who love each other, believe strongly in God and who respect each other's faith and intellect can disagree.

I must admit that I had my share of battles with my mom, but in the end I knew she was a fiece advocate for me and my brothers. On this day of her birth, I remember one from whom I learned faith, compassion, the art of debate, the wideness of God's mercy and the depth of God's love.

No comments: